Monday 20 November 2006

Is it a Malaysian thing, or a Sunday morning thing?

Four of us went to Meru today. Meru is a small rural town about 60km out of Kuala Lumpur.

It all started this morning. We were supposed to meet up in KL at 8.45am... yes on a Sunday morning.

By 8.40am I was still at home, just about to leave. It would take me at least 15 minutes to reach the meeting point.

At 8.43am I received an sms from one of them who was to meet us at the meeting point, indicating that he'll be 15 minutes late. I calmly replied 'ok', of course NOT indicating that I was just about to leave.

By 8.49am I received a call from another one of them who was to meet us at the meeting point, indicating that she had run late and therefore had decided to meet us at Meru. Her voice hinted that she had just woken up and rushing like mad to shower, dress and get out of the house at lightning speed. Oh by the way, she lives about 40 minutes away from the meeting point.

By 8.50am I called the last person who was to meet us at the meeting point and told her that I'd be about 15 minutes late. She sounded more relieved than annoyed. I suspected this gave her that 'bonus' extended play time to prepare whatever that she needed to bring to Meru.

So... my question is... is it a Malaysian thing that people just do not meet up on time, or is it a Sunday morning thing? Why do most of us arrive late when we know its not socially acceptable... or is it? Why don't you give it a thought and let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ppl who make it a norm coming late for the appointment will normally hang out with people of the same behaviour. If you yourself accept yourself being late, then why bother asking such question?